- Uses the Phone's Camera to Detect Radiation. No External Detector Required.
- Simple Enough for Professionals and General Public to use.
- Noise Reduction Algorithm. Higher Sensitivity than Other Camera Based Radiation Detection Apps.
- Runs and Alarms in Background. Continuous Protection, Continuous Dose Rate Display.
- Logs out the data and GPS coordinates for further investigations
- Capable of calculating Dose and Dose rate units in uSv and Rem
- Easy Hook Up with External Detectors if desired
- Displays Results in Widget.
As of May 2014, we have searched for an application that uses the phone's camera to detect radiation and that protects the user continuously. After downloading all the applications we could find, it was clear that such an application wasn't available. While some applications were able to detect high levels of radiation, most were unable to effectively resolve smaller radiation fields from background radiation levels. None of the applications found were suitable for continuous monitoring as the user went about their normal routine; all applications had to be running in the foreground with the screen on to operate.
So, we decided to write our own app, and GammaGuard is the result!
Our GammaGuard Android application (available now at the Google Play store) can run continuously in the background and will alarm if you are in an area with high radiation levels. The current radiation level is displayed in a widget, making this information available to the user without having to re-open the app.
GammaGuard employs your cellphone's camera to detect ionizing radiation. To use, simply cover your camera lens and start the application!
To reduce background noise, GammaGuard uses an advanced algorithm that identifies noise events and excludes them from the analysis.